4 Great Sobriety Gift Ideas
Giving a sobriety gift honors a friend or family member’s efforts to recover from an addiction. The right gift can mark their beginning, encourage them to continue, or celebrate an anniversary of their success in the journey toward a sober life. Below are four great sobriety gift ideas for that special and sober person in your life.
If you or a loved one need a safe place to help you maintain the sober life you have worked so hard to achieve, The Sanctuary Recovery Foundation may be right for you. Contact us today and discover how our sober living environment can support your goals of sobriety and a fulfilling life.
Addiction recovery programs encourage journaling because of its benefits, including:
- Relieving stress
- Diminishing anxiety
- Promoting feelings of accomplishment
- Providing a place to list and monitor goals
- Stimulating inner peace
- Fostering emotional awareness
- Supplying a place to put memories in the past
In addition to having their name engraved on the cover, you can write an encouraging personalized message inside. You could give a general journal or one of the specialized ones now available, such as:
- A gratitude journal
- A goals journal
- A health and fitness journal
- A diary journal
- A spiritual journal
Recovery is an ongoing process that includes various life changes. Most of these changes require planning and taking action. Because it can be overwhelming, addiction recovery counselors often recommend using a daily planner. This gift provides great things for your friend or family member, such as:
- Allowing them to create a structure for their days.
- Promoting healthy routines and habits.
- Supplying visual accountability of how their time is spent each day, week, and month.
- Helping create feelings of personal ownership of their life.
- Reducing the chances of relapse.
- Teaching the importance of time management skills.
Bibliotherapy is a therapeutic approach that includes the act of reading books to work through challenges and problems. Books are especially beneficial for those new to recovery or those sober for a while. Formal research on the value of reading suggests how effectively books can:
- Offer a new perspective. This is especially relevant to those in recovery who have most likely developed a narrow perspective on a life centered around alcohol or drugs.
- Take the reader outside their comfort zone. Boredom is one of the common triggers for relapse. Reading a book can break through a comfort zone, remove boredom, and boost the motivation to stay sober.
- Increase empathy and tolerance for others. These are valuable and essential skills for a successful recovery and a fulfilling life of sobriety. Books can reveal how others learned this and what it looks like to demonstrate these qualities each day.
- Remove loneliness. Feelings of isolation can overwhelm those in recovery at times. A carefully chosen book can highlight the paths others took to achieve and maintain sobriety. Reading the stories of such people can aid in eliminating loneliness.
Exercise Clothing or Equipment
Alcohol and drug addiction impact the chemistry of the mind and the body, resulting in anxiety, depression, and physical problems such as an impaired cardiovascular system. However, after a physician’s approval, physical exercise offers many benefits, such as stress reduction, improved mood, better sleep, and more energy.
Many items, such as fitness clothing, shoes, and equipment, can improve the quality of life for those in recovery. For example, consider purchasing running shoes, a treadmill, exercise bike, dumbbells, or other cardio or resistance exercise products.
Consider The Sanctuary Recovery Foundation
As the holidays approach, consider visiting The Sanctuary Recovery Foundation to learn how we can help you or a loved one in your pursuit of sobriety. Our sober living environment allows addiction recovery in a supportive and understanding community. To learn more, contact The Sanctuary Recovery Foundation to discover the assistance we offer.