Sober New Year’s Resolutions for 2020
New year, new you. This is especially the case if you’ve become sober this past year, or you’re currently working on getting sober. The start of 2020 is the perfect opportunity to create goals for yourself that will help you stay successful on your path to sobriety. View some of the best sober New Year’s resolutions for 2020 that you can hold yourself accountable to.
If you need a safe space to stay sober, our sober living environment at The Sanctuary Recovery Foundation may be right for you. Contact us and learn how we can help.
How to Set SMART Goals
First and foremost, it helps to know how to create smart, achievable goals. The goals you set need to follow the SMART acronym, meaning they should be:
- Specific. Don’t define your goal too broadly. Make sure it’s something very particular on which you can focus.
- Measurable. Choose a goal that is measurable so that you can see the progress you’ve made. This also helps you easily tell when you’ve achieved or are achieving that goal.
- Action-related. Smart goals require a concrete, definitive behavior change or action.
- Realistic. You know your abilities and limits. Find a goal that will be a challenge, but one that you know you can reach.
- Timely. Choose a goal that has particular significance in relation to where you’re at in life currently.
Sober New Year’s Resolutions
Now that you have the tools and knowledge to set SMART goals for 2020, here are a few ideas to help get you started on your sober New Year’s Resolutions. Write the ones that stick out to you down, then place them in an area where you’ll see them and be continually reminded of them:
- Ask for help when needed. Make it your mission to truly ask for help when you’re struggling in 2020. Don’t wait until you’re on the verge of relapse to do so. Know your triggers and be confident in reaching out.
- Exercise for at least half an hour every day. Your health will benefit immensely from sobriety as well as exercise. You’ll begin to enjoy more energy and better overall health when you prioritize growing in strength and endurance every day.
- Learn a new hobby to enjoy in sobriety. Fill your time with things you’ve always wanted to do and learn. Find a new hobby and spend time working on it, learning it, and enjoying it every week. You may even meet new people to call friends at the same time (see below!).
- Make 1-3 new friends who are supportive of sobriety. Aim to meet new people who aren’t simply around you because of alcohol and drug use. You may find these people when you are exposed to new hobbies or family events. Finding supportive friends will help you stay focused and confident in your sobriety.
2020 is Your Year!
If you’ve been working hard to get sober this year or you’re working on it right now, 2020 is definitely your year to shine. Employ a few of these sober New Year’s resolutions for 2020, and watch your life change for the better! And remember, if you ever need help staying clean and sober, a sober living environment can be of assistance. The Sanctuary Recovery Foundation offers men’s sober living residences in the beautiful coastal region of Charleston, SC.
Contact us today. We would love to talk to you about how we can help.